We recognise the importance of protecting the privacy of the personal information we collect from our customers and prospective customers. We are committed to and bound by the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 Cth (as amended).
What personal information do we collect, and how do we get it?
We collect your personal information from our hire agreements or what you tell us or show us when you telephone us, interact with us at pick-up and drop-off, or browse on our website. When you are making enquiries about our products and services, we will usually ask you for your name, your contact details including your phone number, address, and email address. This helps us to contact you to answer your enquiries. When you hire a caravan or any equipment from us, we will request that you supply us with some or all of the following:
- Your name, street address, email address, telephone, mobile and alternative contact number, your company or business name to identify you, and for us to contact you.
- Details of your Drivers Licence, or a photocopy or digital image of it, so that we can confirm your identity, your residence, and (where applicable) your legal right to drive/tow one of our caravans.
- Your credit card details for the purpose of paying for your hire from us.
We do not seek to collect any potentially sensitive background information.
What do we use this personal information for?
All information sought is required for our business purposes, which includes:
- responding to your enquiries or requests
- to provide you with the equipment you wish to hire, and other products and services
- to help us to identify other products and services that might be beneficial to you, and to inform you about them and items or locations of interest
- to evaluate the needs of our customers and to develop new products or services
- internal accounting and administration
- to protect you and us from fraud
- direct marketing
When you visit our website, we may collect the above information from you if you provide it to us. We may also collect log-in information about website activities (for example, date and time of visits, the number of pages viewed, etc.) using “cookies”, as commonly used by most other web sites. A cookie is a packet of information that allows the hosting computer to identify and interact with you. The cookies do not identify any personal information but may provide us with statistical information that we can use to analyse our services. If your computer does not allow the placement of cookies, your navigation on our website may be restricted.
We assume we have your consent to use your personal information for the above purposes, in particular, for the purposes of sending information to you about our products and services, unless you advise us not to. If you do not want us to contact you or send you information, please let us know by emailing email@example.com.
What equipment data do we collect, how do we get it and what do we use it for?
By hiring a caravan from us you agree to Great Southern Caravan Hire using a GPS Device on the caravan during the rental period, and to us collecting, using and retaining information from the GPS Device, and that we are the owner of that data.
Information from the GPS Device may be used:
- to provide information to the police or other authorities in the event that the Caravan is stolen, is not returned at the end of the hire period or is being used unlawfully;
- in the event of an accident or incident relating to the Caravan during the hire period, e.g. to verify the location of the Caravan at the time of the alleged accident or incident;
- to identify the exact location of the Caravan in the event of a reported breakdown and to provide that location to breakdown responders;
- to identify whether the Caravan is being used in an area prohibited under the hire contract conditions or in a manner that does not comply with manufacturer’s specifications or the terms of hire;
- for any other purpose permitted under the Privacy Act or any other law.
Disclosure of your personal information to parties outside Great Southern Caravan Hire
As a general principle, we will not provide any unrelated party with any personal information that has collected about you. Exceptions may occur where:
- we believe in good faith that you have consented;
- we use external service providers e.g. mailing houses to mail promotional material to you. The information will be provided to our external service providers on a confidential basis for the purposes of our business only, and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is dealt with according to the same high standards as we use;
- a law enforcement agency, or other government agency, is exercising its legal authority and has asked us to provide access to that information;
- you are in default of a hire contract or other contractual commitment to us, in which case we may need to release your details and the relevant history of your transactions with us to our legal advisers, debt collection agencies, credit reference bodies, or industry associations;
- we are asked to share that information with a credit or reporting agency.
Great Southern Caravan Hire may also use Google Analytics to collect and process information. For further details please view ‘How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps’ (located atwww.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/).
Other than the purposes above, we will not disclose your information unless with your consent, or as required or authorised by law.
Protecting your personal information
We store information in different ways, including hard copies and electronic form. We take all reasonable care to ensure that the personal information about you is protected from loss, misuse or alteration. We also have electronic security systems in place to protect your personal information transmitted through our website.
Caravan and equipment pick-up and drop-off during COVID-19
If we are required to collect information from those on-site at a caravan pick-up or drop-off, the information on this sign-in form may be used for contact tracing purposes and if requested will be provided to public health officers. When no longer required for the purposes of contact tracing all information provided in connection with the submission of the form will be destroyed.
Gaining access your personal information
You have a right to access the personal information we store about you. If you wish to access your information, please write to us (our contact details are at the end of this statement). Subject to verification of your identity, we will provide you with access to any information we are holding about you as soon as practicable. We may charge you the reasonable costs of processing your request.
Keeping your personal information accurate and up to date
If you find that the information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete, or out of date, please let us know, and we will take reasonable steps to correct it.
Dealing with us
You can refuse to provide us with your personal information if you are making general inquiries about our products and services. However, we may not be able to answer your requests in some cases, or conduct business with you, if you refuse to disclose the personal information that we require.